Information on Tennessee Medicaid Program. Tennessee Medicaid is also called TennCare.
Tennessee Medicaid provides medical coverage to eligible needy persons for Tennessee residents. The purpose of Medicaid in Tennessee is to improve the health of people in Tennessee who might otherwise go without medical care for themselves and their children.. Medicaid is both funded by the Federal and State cooperative working together.
Primary health services funded through Medicaid are physician, hospital and long term care. Additional medical coverage includes drugs/prescriptions, medical equipment and transportation, family planning, laboratory tests, x-rays and other medical services.
The mission of the program is to improve the health of Tennessee residents by:
- Emphasizing health prevention
- Promoting continuity of health care
- Providing a medical home for Medicaid recipients
- Ensuring that each recipient can receive high quality, comprehensive health care services within the recipient’s community
Do You Qualify for Tennessee Medicaid?
To qualify for Medicaid Tennessee :
- you must be a resident of the state of Tennessee
- a US national, citizen, permanent resident, or legal alien,
- in need of health care/insurance assistance, whose financial situation would be characterized as low income or very low income. You must also be either pregnant, a parent or relative caretaker of a dependent child(ren) under age 19,
- blind, have a disability or a family member in your household with a disability, or be 65 years of age or older.
Tennessee Medicaid Application Process:
1. Department of Human Services (DHS)
Eligibility for TennCare and other Medicaid programs is decided by the Department of Human Services. All 95 counties have a DHS office.
- Find out the address and phone number of your local DHS office.
2. Getting an Application
You don’t need an appointment to get an application.
There are 3 ways to get an application. You can:
- Call and have one sent to you.
- Pick up one at your local office.
- Print a TennCare application (pdf, 189kb) (spanish) (pdf, 194kb).
OR, you can apply online
For more information on Tennessee Medicaid: